Saturday, July 31, 2010

African Fish Eagle

After months of dissapointment, blurred shots out of focus, eagle flying away and the usual drama I FINALLY got my eagle shots. It was on the morning of one of our bush breakfasts and I almost did not take my camera with me, but gladly I did. After spotting a fantastic hammerkop's nest.

It was nestled right above where I parked the vehicle I decided to take a walk up to the dried lagoon. Nothing much was happening save for a few squirrels scurrying about.
Then I saw it

Wait, I heard it first, that distinct sqaw and I immediately started searching the trees for the black and white. I found him in no time perched up on a leafy tree looking the other way. I followed his gaze and to my surprise and delight his mate was perched not far off on a treeless skeleton of a tree. So I took pictures, lots of pictures...will only post a few here for it gets boring. I have a soft spot for African fish Eagles. They are large and impressive, excellent fishers with sharp eyes and best of all they mate for life. There is a catch however; every year the male has to woo the female and win her all over again by locking talons high up in the air and free falling until they reach just above the trees where they unlock and start all over again until they have mated. They will then help each other repair their nest, which they use every year and is usually found perched on tall trees with wide branches.







African Fish Eagle


Haliaeetus Vocifer

No comments: