Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hell hath no fury like a lioness with cubs




I was planning on sleeping in this morning when Kazembo woke me up. "Madam, Madam!" I shot up thinking, lodge is on fire, there is a riot and I am all alone, someone's drowned. no. "A crocodile has been killed by rion and George is taking car to go there!" " I'll be right there! " I yelled back as I flew out of my bed and into my tracksuit, at the door I paused and realized I was wearing my pink sleeping shirt, a practical come hither sign for any dangerous animals that might be keen for some animal on girl action. I ripped my shirt off, put on a brown earthy one in its place, grabbed my hat and camera (praying the battery wasn't flat) and flew outside where George was revving the ancient landcruiser. Kazembo stood by the laundry table folding a sheet in slow motion longingly staring at the vehicle. "Well are you coming???" and that's all it took to get him to join our impromptu game drive. It was about 8:30 am and what had happened was the lions and their cubs had been feeding on an unfortunate impala right opposite chalet 1 (as I slept!!!) when a lazy crocodile decided to waddle up and stir some sh*t hoping to get a piece of the action. The lionesses were not having it, there are 3 of them adults and 4 young ones, the impala was hardly enough to go around as is. So while the kids were at a safe distance the other 2 must have wrestled with the crocs hind legs eventually breaking them while the larger/older female went for the jugular and ripped it open leaving the crocodile with a huge gash exposing tissue, veins, and air tubes. When we got to the scene the croc had gone comatose to preserve his energy, I thought he was doornail dead. While we went hunting for the lions who we found in the shade nearby vultures got wind of the story and immediately began to congregate. As I write they must now be in their hundreds shamelessly waiting for the croc to give up the ghost. Not wanting to be eaten alive the croc would occasionally raise his head and snarl at the vultures who were duly warned but not intimidated. They know its just a matter of time.

Close inspection of croc: beautiful animal with marble green eyes and skin that looks like a rug with well placed dull colored precious stones.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how far were you when you took the lion photos?

Unknown said...

Hi!

Pretty close, probably 3 meters away...but i was also in a landrover leaning out so relatively safe since they only see the landy silhouette.

Greg Thackray said...

Both beautiful n incredible animals. Very lucky to capture that. Good photo's, Well done.

Crane said...

Wait, so if you are in a vehicle lions cant make out your image? Only see the silhouette of the vehicle youre in? Do they not have good vision?

Unknown said...

Any more pictures of the crocodile..and the legs that were broken? Great pictures!!