Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Some of my friends are animals


Tusker

He is a 1 tusked elephant (the story behind that I wish I knew) and he comes to visit me almost everyday between 1 and 3pm. I think he just contends with the fact that I live right next to his favorite snacking tree. I hear him breaking trees and branches as he approaches but never his footsteps or animal sounds, elephants can be extremely quiet when they want to. A few minutes after the cracking and popping and rustling he appears, huge, grey, powerful -Tusker. With gentle eyes and a soft approach he goes about his snacking routine, flicking his ears and tail occasionally to let me know that he knows I exist and that's ok with him. I on the other hand revere our meeting, envy myself for being so lucky to enjoy such moments. Tusker has taught me about intimacy, not much needs to be done about it, it can be as simple as me sitting by my computer with nothing but a bit of Mosquito mesh to keep me an arm's length away from an elephant who though quite aware of my presence, munches on flowers and leafy branches, relaxed. On his own terms and approach Tusker is quite relaxed with me, and spontaneous I never know if he will show today or not. A surprise meeting in the bush though might be another story I may never live to tell. Tusker has also finally helped me understand the importance of solitude, away from the crowds I work and think better, write more. Away from the crowds Tusker eats more, travels less and is not bothered too much by green landcruisers packed with photo happy tourists.



I look forward to seeing him today.

(Yes it does bother me that I do have to give him a pet name to strengthen my bonds of affinity with him, in that way I am still human after all.)

No comments: